Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Twelve Days of Christmas

It's been a busy and somewhat hectic week this past week…

For a while now we have been tossing back and forth the idea of putting the house for sale and moving to a better area. While we love our house, the area it's in is not the best. The public schools in Pittsburgh are less than stellar and while we have time to think about it, we were wondering if it would just be easier to do now. I'm sure before we know it it will be time to register for school and I don't want to be stuck in a panic here wondering what we are going to do.

So we made the jump. We called Steve's sister Natalie's friend Lauren who is an agent through Remax to come check out our house and let us know what she thinks. That was last Tuesday. By Wednesday we had all the paperwork turned in to her, the house was listed and a photographer came on Saturday to take pictures for the listing. We had our first showing on Sunday, but I guess the woman didn't like the road. One side comes around a somewhat narrow, dark bend and the other side is a pretty steep hill. We were actually kind of afraid they would put an offer in right away, Lauren included. She said "where will I put you guys?!" because apparently she's on a hot streak.

For the past week we have been looking at house listings non stop online. We have found quite a few we like but the majority of them are contingent. It also doesn't help we are being really picky. I figure if we are moving into a house to start our family, it should be everything that we are looking for. I don't want to outgrow our hour in 2-3 years when we add another baby and be in this same situation again.

We did go to look at one house on Sunday that we thought we loved. Turns out it was a foreclosure, but we went to see it anyway. When we walked in it needed some work, but nothing major. It was all wall paper so that would have to be taken down and and the walls painted, horrible blue carpeting, but no biggie there either. It had a BEAUTIFUL living room that actually reminded me of a ski resort! High wooden ceiling, huge fireplace, beautiful wood floor, opened up to an upstairs deck, it was perfect!! But then we went downstairs…THe entire downstairs of the house was designed as an in-law suite with two bedrooms, full bathroom and kitchen. However, the walls were covered in mold and someone had broken into the house and stolen all of the copper piping from the walls and ceiling.

We debated putting in a low offer to the bank and gutting the whole basement to fix it, but it just isn't worth it. Theres no way of knowing how deep the issue is with the mold, we can't have a home inspection, the entire house runs on electric and no gas, septic and well water. Too many things that could be an issue so we had to walk away from it. So our search continues!

In other news, my 12 days of Christmas have started!! Each year, I get Steve gifts for the 12 days leading up to Christmas. So Dec 13-Dec 24. Its just a fun thing I started last year and would like to continue for our kids so I figured I had to keep the tradition going this year!! So far I've given him five gifts, today being day five!

DAY 1: An Ornament for the tree. I did the same last year and will keep this tradition every year.


DAY 2: Hot cocoa mugs and mix
DAY 3: I don't have a picture of the finished product since its actually not finished yet, but I have the picture of the inspiration for it. For our anniversary this year I painted him a picture of two birds on a branch with our anniversary date at the bottom. Seen here:
So as I was searching the internet high and low for ideas for day three, I came across these paintings and thought they were PERFECT!!
I gave him canvases with the pink paint the the sketched birds, just need to finish painting them!!

DAY 4: Four bottles of Famous Dave's BBQ sauce. We seem to fly through BBQ sauce around here and we love Famous Dave's (and don't have one here) so I thought this was a good one!

DAY 5: Five "daddy's girl" onesies and bibs :)


Stay tuned to find out whats to come for Days 6-12!







No comments:

Post a Comment