Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day Nursery Reveal

Happy Valentines Day!!!

I've never been one to really get into Valentine's day. Gifts that the prices have been jacked up on, just for the day. Flowers that die, candy is good while it lasts, dinner reservations at the most expensive place in town and $5 cards that get stuffed away somewhere never to be seen again. For what? To prove to someone ONE day out of 365 that we love them. Isn't this something we should be doing every day? Don't get me wrong, waking up this morning to a dozen roses, chocolate covered pretzels and a card put a nice smile on my face, but I would much prefer it on another random, meaningless day of the year, just because.

Anyway, now that I have that out of my system, I'll let you all in on what we've been working on the past few weeks!

I've been a major slacker in keeping up with my blog, but at the end of the day, I just haven't had the energy to put my thoughts into words. We've been working hard on the nursery to get it ready for my shower this weekend. It turned out BETTER than I could have ever imagined!! We still have a few finishing touches to make, like hanging her name on the wall, but since we are keeping her name a secret until she's born, I had to hold off on this detail :)

I will of course document the journey with photos…..WARNING: there may be a lot!

We have three bedrooms in our house, one thats obviously ours, one which was a guest room and an office. Well, the room that was the office is the bedroom on the corner of the house, which I did not want for the nursery. Its over the garage, theres two windows, noise from both sides, etc., so I chose the room in the middle of the house for her room. Thus meaning we had to move office furniture to the basement, bedroom furniture to the office and the baby furniture from the basement, to the nursery room. That was a chore and a project all in itself. Luckily we have good friends who offered to help and it didn't take long at all :)

Here are some before pictures of the room…The color on the walls was a greenish grey color. Not terrible but also not great. Steve's old roommate picked it out...



And then there is primer!!


We chose pink, grey and white for the nursery colors. I was THRILLED as soon as I saw the pink start to go up on the wall!!!!



For the one wall with no breaks (window, closet, door), we did a striped accent wall. I wasn't sure how it would turn out with everything else I had planned in my head for the room, but I absolutely love it and think it pulls the whole room together!! THIS was a definite test in our relationship as Steve yelled at me the whole time for not doing what he was telling me to do when we were trying to tape the walls. In the end, he taped them himself, it was better that way!


The finished stripe wall!

(don't you just love it?!)

Then came the tree project…this was actually the inspiration for the entire room. Back when we first found out we were expecting, I saw a pin on pinterest with this wall decal…it was in a pink/grey room above the crib and I just LOVED it. I searched high and low for the decal and finally found it!! The picture was actually from the etsy listing for the decal! I ordered it right away and knew I had to have this room!! Little did I know, when I pulled the decal out of the box, it came in a million different pieces. Its huge, so I didn't think it would be all one, but I also didn't expect it to be so many…you'll see through the progress photos that it was quite a task! I didn't take photos while applying the tree trunk and branches, but those were also all separate. Everything came printed on big sheets that had to be cut apart, I numbered them according to the directions (smart thinking there), and had Steve apply the trunk and branches. 

When it came to the leaves and flowers, I kicked Steve off the project, hung the original picture on the wall and copied it leaf for leaf…



After the decal we built furniture, painted the doors, my mom bought bedding for the crib and had it sent to us, we bought rugs, a light, and we started adding things here and there…I also painted some pictures to hang up. You may recognize the bird paintings from my 12 Days of Christmas post. In that post though I only gave a photo of the inspirational piece. This will show the finished project. Also, as I said about the tree decal, it was the inspiration for the whole room. When I saw the bird paintings when I was trying to think of something for my day three of 12 days of Christmas, I knew it would be perfect!!


(Don't know if its hard to read…the top one says "Baby makes…days shorter, nights longer, home happier & love stronger")








So thats the finished project for now! I have two showers coming up, one here in Pittsburgh this weekend and another in Erie in two weeks so I'm SURE there will be more to add and organize which makes me excited!! Since we finished everything I find myself standing in there looking for something to do. It quickly became my favorite room in the house!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Valentine's day! I know I will, I'm off to a doctor's appointment soon and then I'm finally using my Christmas gift card to pamper myself for the day with a haircut, mani and pedi! Now if only there were a mzssage included too!








No comments:

Post a Comment